Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Apple, cranberry, walnut chicken

My mom had gotten me a desk calendar that was 365 days of slow cooker recipes. She got it for me shortly after I bought my crock pot and was looking for new things I could make in it. One of the recipes in the calendar was for cranberry apple chicken. The first time I tried it I followed the directions exactly and found the cranberries to be too tart and didn't enjoy the meal much. I tried it again a few weeks later without the cranberries and still wasn't happy with it. The chicken kept coming out too dry and the apples turned to apple sauce when moved. I still liked the idea of apple cranberry chicken. It just sounds like it should be delicious to me. After realizing that my crock pot is way to big for my small little meals I decided to try making an apple cranberry chicken dish my own way and I thought that adding walnuts to it would make it even more delicious. To solve the problem of the cranberries being too tart I tried dried cranberries instead of fresh. This made a huge difference. Also cooking it in the oven helped the apples turn out much better as well. I was extremely happy at how well this turned out and I think it will become one of my favorite meals. The hardest part about making it is cutting and peeling the apples. I like easy meals. I cooked up some rice to go along with this but it's just as good without if you want to make it lower carb.

What you need
3 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
2 green apples, peeled and cut into slices
1 bag of dried cranberries
Walnuts, chopped
2 cups unsweetened apple juice
1/3 cup brown sugar

Instructions
Place chicken breasts in an oven pan or dish. Arrange apples, cranberries, and walnuts all around the chicken. In a seperate dish mix brown sugar with apple juice. Pour over chicken. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search