Friday, January 23, 2009

Stuffed Green Peppers

In my quest to find new things to eat I came up with the idea of stuffed peppers. This is something I used to make in my younger years and had almost forgotten that I knew how. My boyfriend does not like stuffed peppers so I never had the opportunity to make them since we've been together. I made myself two of these peppers, to last me for two nights, and realized that I had enough filling left over for many more so this recipe is for six.

It turned out to be quite an adventure making these. Not because they are difficult at all but because my clumsy, messy self created a problem in the kitchen. I had just gotten the water to a boiling to cook the rice (I don't have a rice cooker) and as I was measuring the rice into the water my grip on the rice bag slipped and resulted in spilling rice all over the stove, counter, and floor. As a result some of the rice ended up underneath the burner. This is what I accidentally found out. Dry rice is flammable. First I lit a paper towel on fire by attempting to sweep some of the rice off the stove and touching the paper towel to the burner. I put it out in the sink and turned around to throw away the paper towel. I heard a whoop noise and turned to see my rice pot completely encircled in flames. I turned off the burner and removed the pot to a different burner. After the burner cooled off I cleaned up the mess, reassembled the burner, and continued my cooking. Lesson learned, measure rice away from the stove. Lucky for me I was home alone and didn't have to suffer the embarrassment of my family's comments regarding my blond clumsiness. Hopefully when or if you make these you'll have better luck. Even with all that they still turned out great and this is a recipe that I will definitely be using many times for myself. It's not entirely dairy free but it is lactose free. I used aged sharp cheddar cheese for this recipe, which has no lactose and it seemed to be fine for my poor sensitive tummy. You can also substitute any of the veggies that I use for your own taste buds.

To give you an example of how I cook two meals at a time I had also made a steak dinner for my boyfriend. I prepared my peppers first and while they were cooking in the oven I cooked steak, sauteed mushrooms, and fettucini. By the time his dinner was finishing my peppers were ready to come out of the oven and we were able to sit at the table and eat together.

What you'll need
2 cups cooked rice
1 pound ground beef, cooked thoroughly
1 can peas
6 green peppers, tops cut off and insides taken out
1 yellow pepper, chopped into pieces
6-8 small white mushrooms, chopped into pieces
Seasoning salt
Salt and pepper to taste
Aged sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

Instructions
In a splash of olive oil, saute yellow peppers, mushrooms, and peas until slightly soft. In a large pot, boil green peppers for 6-8 minutes. Add vegetables and rice to cooked ground beef and blend together. Line an oven safe dish with foil, set green peppers in the dish. Fill green peppers with rice, veggie, beef mix. Top of with shredded cheddar cheese. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until cheese is bubbly. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search