Monday, February 16, 2009

Meatloaf

Everybody likes comfort foods and meatloaf is a classic american comfort food, at least in my opinion. I cook meatloaf for my family on a regular basis but because I put crackers in it I haven't eaten it myself. I missed it so I decided to try a gluten free meatloaf. I was very happy with the results, it tasted like the meatloaf I was used to. Meatloaf is one of those things where everyone has their own recipe. Spices and/or herbs, bread crumbs or crackers, ketchup or gravy. I throw in quite a few herbs and the only spice I use is a little bit of chili powder. In my house we prefer ketchup over gravy, it's how we ate meatloaf as kids and it's how our kids prefer it also. I also like to add chopped onion to my meatloaf. There are two ways you could make a gluten free meatloaf. You can use rice crackers to substitute the saltines, or you can use quinoa. I prefer quinoa, rice crackers aren't as easy to crunch up as saltines and with quinoa you can just pour some into the raw meat and mix it in. I also used organic gluten free ketchup, which does not contain dairy or soy. The only difference I noticed with making a gluten free meatloaf was that it took longer to cook. I think it must have to do with the quinoa since crackers don't really need to be cooked. That's my guess anyway.

What you'll need
2 pounds lean ground beef (I use 7% fat, the leanest I can find)
1 onion, chopped
A dash or two of oregano, basil, rosemary, italian seasoning, chili powder, garlic salt, worcestershire sauce.
1 egg
About a 1/3 cup of quinoa
Ketchup

Instructions
Mix all ingredients into the raw meat. For the ketchup just squirt some into the mixture. I don't measure the ketchup, I just squirt a layer over the top of the meat and then mix in. You want it to be kind of sticky when it's all mixed, if it's too wet add more quinoa. Put mixture into a loaf pan and bake at 375 for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes. I check the temperature of the meatloaf with a meat thermometer to make sure it's fully cooked. Serve with ketchup or eat as is. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Your blog is SUCH a relief to me! I found it through a search for gluten, dairy, and soy free dieting--I know I'm soy sensitive and somewhat lactose intolerant, but I'm beginning to worry about gluten as well. These recipes look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found me! My goal was to be able to help others like me who have multiple intolerances.

    ReplyDelete

Custom Search