Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Sweet basil pesto chicken with pasta

I had to go to QFC for something for my boyfriend the other day and while I was there I decided to look around for some new ideas of things to cook. They had an extremely limited gluten-free section but I did find a bag of dairy, soy, and gluten-free chocolate chips. I'm going to figure out something to make with those this weekend. Not finding much else I just started browsing the aisles. I thought about some sort of white or creamy sauced pasta dish but I was unable to find any white sauces that did not contain soy. What I did find gave me an idea though. I was looking at the sauce mix packets and found an organic sweet basil pesto sauce mix. It didn't have any of my offending ingredients so I bought it. After I got home I was trying to figure out what I could make using pesto. Pasta had to be in there, I personally can't imagine pesto going with anything else. Then I thought, why not chicken? Chicken is so versatile with what you can make with it. So for dinner tonight, while my familiy's meatloaf was cooking in the oven, I cooked up some chicken and rice pasta, made the pesto, then mixed it all together and viola! Dinner is served. This was an especially easy dinner to make, taking less than a half an hour from start to finish. You could also add in some artichoke hearts, garlic, or whatever else sounds good to you. Sprinkled with parmesan cheese would make it good also.

What you'll need
* 1-2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I cut them into thick strips but you could cook them whole as well.)
* I package of brown rice fettucini or spaghetti noodles
* I package dry pesto mix
* 1 tablespoon olive oil


Instructions
Heat up a pot of water to cook the pasta in. Cook chicken in 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat until white throughout. I start the pasta first then let the chicken simmer while the pasta is boiling, turning once or twice to make sure it cooks evenly. Cook the pesto according to the instructions on the package. Drain the pasta, add the chicken and the pesto, mix it all together and you're done. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search