Saturday, April 11, 2009

Banana Pancakes



I have this next week off of work. Hooray for vacation time! So, with all this time off I decided that I would try some more baking experiments. I tried one tonight that I thought was delicious. Dinner this evening ended being breakfast. I was trying to figure out what I wanted to eat and all of sudden it came to me. Why not try making pancakes? They shouldn't be too difficult to make gluten free and dairy free right? Right! They were very easy actually, and taste great. I chopped some banana pieces into the batter but you could make them without the banana.

I also have a couple more baking recipes that turned out pretty well but I'm still fine tuning them. I figure if it doesn't taste good enough for my family to like it then it's not quite right. I want gluten, dairy, soy free goodies that taste just as good as the real thing. I think also that my taste buds have changed and sort of adapted to eating gluten free. I made some chocolate chip cookies that I thought were pretty darn good, my family spit them out. So, I'll keep trying to make a better cookie and today I learned how to remove casein from butter so next time I make cookies I'll try that and see how it works out.

I'm starting to think that lactose is not what I'm intolerant to. I've tried many lactose free meals and still had reactions so now I'm cutting out casein to see if maybe I can narrow down my dairy culprit. Of course, it could very well be both. Intolerance's are not as easy to pinpoint as allergies. It was also never 100% confirmed that I do not have celiac disease and many celiac's are intolerant to casein.


Enough of that, huh? On to the recipe!

What you'll need
*1 cup brown rice flour
*1/2 cup tapioca starch
*1/4 cup corn starch
*2 tbsp sugar
*1 tbsp baking powder
*1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
*1 tsp vanilla
*1 banana (optional)
*3 eggs
*1 cup rice milk (or your preferred milk substitute)
*1 cup water

Instructions
Blend all dry ingredients together in a fairly large bowl. Add the eggs and mix until eggs are absorbed. Add the milk and mix well. The mixture should be pretty thick by now. Add about half the water and mix until you get good pancake batter consistency. Pancake batter shouldn't be too thick, should still have lumps, and be easily pourable without being runny. Heat up your pan or electric skillet to a medium heat. Pour batter onto skillet. Just like regular pancakes, when you start to see lots of bubbles forming it's time to flip. Makes 10-12 medium sized pancakes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search