Sunday, April 12, 2009

Hot Chocolate

Living in Seattle, we have a lot of dreary and cold days. Especially this time of year. From October through May it's mostly rain. One of the things I've missed most since going dairy free was hot chocolate. It's always been one of my favorite warm me up, feel good drinks. Particulary in the evenings. There's nothing better than sitting by the fire with a nice cup of hot chocolate and a good book in hand. That is one of my favorite winter activities. I have not been able to find any hot chocolate, either in syrup or powder form, that didn't have dairy and/or soy. So I came up with my own way to make hot chocolate, dairy and soy free. It's easy and delicious. All you need is a container of unsweetened powdered cocoa. You can find this in the baking aisle. Make sure you don't get a sweetened or flavored powder as these generally have soy. The unsweetened is just pure cocoa powder, hershey's has one that is pretty cheap. The only other things you'll need is sugar and a milk substitute. My favorite for this recipe is rice dream, vanilla flavor. The vanilla goes perfectly with the chocolate.

What you'll need
*4 teaspoons sugar
*2 teaspoons cocoa
*2 cups milk substitute

Instructions
In a medium pot on medium heat, put in sugar and cocoa and mix together. Add rice milk and stir with a whisk. It will look foamy at first but as the milk heats the chocolate will melt. Continuously stir with whisk until it's hot. Pour into a 16oz cup, or two 8oz cups and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yum, I love dairy-free hot cocoa. A bit of coconut milk adds nice richness too.

    ReplyDelete

Custom Search