Sunday, March 28, 2010

I'm back!

I've been MIA both on this blog and with trying anything new. Mostly have been making the same old thing or using someone else's recipes, I just haven't been into it. I got the cooking back again though, as I've gotten bored with my menu and need new things. I really need to stay away from dairy completely so I feel like I'm almost starting over on figuring out things to make.

Tonight I made two new dishes. One isn't entirely new, mostly revised, and the other is a new breakfast bake that I'm excited for. I don't like to get up in the morning any earlier than absolutely necessary so having something quick, easy, and nutritious is major plus in my book. Just scoop onto a plate, heat in microwave, and voila! Breakfast is made.

The first, revised, dish is stuffed green peppers. I decided that this recipe needed to be changed. I'm trying to cut down on my rice consumption as well as trying to ex out dairy altogether. The changes? I substituted quinoa for the rice, ground turkey for the beef, and left out the cheese. I've also recently learned that red bell peppers are chock full of vitamin C, a vitamin I know I don't get too much of due to my acid reflux, so I'm trying to incorporate more of those into dishes.

The second thing I made, well it doesn't really have a name. You can call it an egg casserole, a breakfast back, a sort of crustless quiche, whatever. Basically I combined the best things about a good breakfast (in my opinion anyway) and put them all together in one dish. I used bacon, potatoes, and goat cheese for this dish. And now, on to the recipe's!

Quinoa Stuffed Green Peppers



What you'll need
1 cup dry quinoa
1 pound lean ground turkey
About 1/4 cup sliced mushrooms
1 can corn, no sugar added, liquid drained
1 red bell pepper, cut into pieces

Instructions
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Cook quinoa according to package directions. While the quinoa is cooking, heat a large pot of water on high, cut tops off of green peppers, clean out the insides, slice your mushrooms if you didn't buy them sliced, and cut up the red bell pepper. Once the pot of water come to a boil, drop the green peppers in, making sure they're covered, and boil for 8-10 minutes. Remove from pot, drain out water, and set aside. Cook the turkey until done then add in the mushrooms, red pepper, can of corn, and quinoa. Sautee until mushrooms start to turn dark.* Spoon mixture in the green peppers and place into the oven for 20-25 minutes. Enjoy!

*you may need to add a little oil as mixture may become dry and stick to the pan.



Bacon, Potato, Egg Bake



What you'll need
10 large eggs
1 cup dairy free milk (I use SoDelicious original coconut milk)
2 gold potatoes
1 package bacon
1 package goat cheese

Instructions
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Dice potatoes (think potatoes o'brien) and place into a pan with a little oil. Saute for a about 5 minutes on medium heat, then reduce heat, add a little water, and cover. Cook bacon until crisp. Beat eggs and mix in milk. Place crumbles of goat cheese into a square baking dish. Crumble bacon into the egg mixture. As soon as the potatoes are soft, rinse with cool water and then add to the egg mixture. Pour the egg mixture into your square dish and use remaining goat cheese to crumble over the top. Bake for 40-50 minutes until set. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search