Sunday, May 23, 2010

Spaghetti Squash Pesto Shrimp Scampi



I'm at it again, at least temporarily. I've been trying to think of new things, low carb, low sugar, to make for dinners as I think I've over done it on white rice products and have gained too much weight. Time to get back on track. The problem with low carb is that it's hard to come up with something new that isn't basically the same thing over and over. Meat and veggies, no matter how many different ways you cook them, can get old if you don't have anything to mix it up a bit. So, I came up with making something using spaghetti squash as a pasta substitute. I've never cooked a squash before, the only squash I've really ever eaten is pumpkin, zucchini, and yellow squash. Zucchini and yellow squash don't really count though. Anyway, so I've never cooked a spaghetti squash but I remember my mom making once when I was a teenager and I remember liking it so I thought, why not? I don't really ever do anything with tomato sauce so spaghetti was out. I thought, why not a pesto dish? Why not pesto and shrimp and vegetable thrown together like a scampi dish? With that thought I went to the grocery store, bought everything I needed and tonight proceeded to give it a go. Not too bad at all, I really like it! Hope you do to if you decide to try it. Now, there are two ways you can cook a spaghetti squash. You can either cook it whole, and if you do remember to poke it like you would a potato. Or you can cut it half and cook it. In this recipe I used the cutting in half method so that's how I'll be explaining it. However, in the future I may try cooking it whole because it's very difficult to cut when raw.

What you'll need
1 spaghetti squash
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
1 cup sliced mushrooms
15 shrimps
oregano
garlic powder
salt
pepper
olive oil
pesto

Instructions
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Cut the squash lengthwise in half. Place in a baking dish, cut side down, and add about a cup of water. Cover with tin foil and bake for 45 minutes. When there is about 15 minutes left until the squash is done start sauteing the peppers and mushroom in a little bit of olive oil. Sprinkle with garlic powder, oregano, salt, and pepper. Grill your shrimp over medium heat until fully pink. Once the squash is finished, remove it from the oven and turn the pieces over. Using a fork scrape the squash from top to bottom, removing the "meat" which will look like strands of spaghetti. Place everything into one dish, add 2 tablespoons of pesto, and stir it all up. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search