Sunday, April 8, 2012

Almond Chocolate Chip Granola bars

A friend of mine had asked me if the granola bar recipe I had made could be made with almond butter or some other alternative butter.  This got me thinking.  I love almond butter and I love almonds so I my brain got busy thinking of how I could improve on the granola bar recipe and make it peanut free.  I bought a jar of creamy almond butter, a small bag of slivered almonds (bulk), and a bag of chocolate chips and decided to keep it simple and start with that.  The recipe hasn't really changed a whole lot but it does show just how adaptable it is.

I pretty much did everything the same except I added a bit more of the almond butter and used more chocolate chips.  I also did my hands in there to try to get it all blended well.  That was an enormously sticky mess but I think it helped.  I went back to the spoon once it was more evenly mixed to finishing mixing it.  I also didn't refrigerate them this time, just let them cool completely on the counter.  They seem to be fine and aren't crumbling as much as the last batch.  And they taste great!  I like these better than the peanut ones and will probably use almond from now on.  I may add some sort of dried fruit next time too.  

Ingredients
4 cups Bob's Red Mill certified gluten free oats
3/4 cup slivered almonds, crunched up
1 bag semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup honey
1 cup creamy almond butter, melted

Instructions
I mixed all the dry ingredients first, then I added the honey and the melted almond butter.  I mixed as much as I could with a spoon, then switched to my hands, then back to the spoon.  Spread it out in a greased 9x14 baking dish.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.  Let cool completely before cutting.  This last step is crucial.  They are very mushy and fall apart when they are still warm.  Hope you enjoy this as much as I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search