Saturday, April 28, 2012

Scallop and Cabbage Tacos

Obviously this recipe isn't vegetarian or vegan, but it could be if you omitted the scallops and just ate the veggies in a corn tortilla.  I originally got the idea for the recipe on Pinterest.  I changed it up a bit though, to suit my personal tastes.  The main veggie here?  Cabbage.  I don't know what it is about cabbage but I love chopping it up and smelling it.  It smells so good to me.  Is that weird?  Anyway, in my produce box this week I received a yellow onion and a bunch of little radishes.  I decided to cook up the radishes and onion, along with the cabbage, as the main filling for my tacos.  Throw in a little cilantro and bam,  you've got flavor.  This is also enhanced with fresh lime juice.  I think lime juice is essential for just about every Mexican inspired dish.  It's very complimentary.

I've also been using all organic ingredients lately.  All of my produce is exclusively organic.  Some of the spices and things I use may not be organic at this time but I'm getting there.  I'm also trying to use whole ingredients to add flavor instead of sodium filled spices.  Limes and lemons add a lot of flavor to a lot of things naturally.  As do certain herbs, as well as the flavors of the vegetables themselves.  I do like to cook with a little bit of salt and pepper but not much, just enough to help enhance taste.  I also bought a cool new gadget that allows me to take my olive oil and turn it into a cooking spray.   It's called the Misto.



This thing is great and I highly recommend it.  I don't have to buy sprays that have all kinds of crazy ingredients.  I can simply use olive oil.  Or whatever oil you prefer.  You can use this to spray onto your food as well.  I found it at my local grocery store but Amazon sells it too if you can't find it.

So, the first thing I did to make the tacos was to wash all the radishes.  I threw away the greens and cut off the ends.  I then sliced them into round pieces.  I peeled and cut half of the onion into slices.  Then, I chopped up a head of cabbage.  I heated a pan with a bit of olive oil then put in the shredded cabbage, onion, and radishes.  I let them simmer for a few minutes, turning the cabbage a bit brown.  I then added some salt and pepper and stirred semi frequently until the cabbage had softened up.  I added in some fresh chopped cilantro and squeezed the juice out of two limes.  I turned the heat down to low and covered it.  In another pan I sprayed some olive oil and then cut up 10 sea scallops into four pieces each.  I put them in the pan and let them sauté a bit.  I added salt and pepper and then squeezed the juice of a half a lemon over it and cooked until the scallops were solid white and meaty.  Next, in a small preheated pan, heat the corn tortillas until soft and brown spots start to form.  Put scallop pieces on the tortilla and top of with a good amount of the cabbage mixture.

Ingredients
10 sea scallops, cut into fours
1 head cabbage, shredded
2-4 radishes, depending on size, sliced into rounds
1/2 yellow onion, sliced
1 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2-3 Tbsp chopped cilantro
1/2 lemon
2 limes
Soft corn tortillas

Instructions
Preheat pan or skillet to medium heat.  Add olive oil.  Add cabbage, radishes, and onion.  Let simmer for a few minutes, stir.  Begin to stir all ingredients every minute or two until the cabbage starts to soften.  Turn heat down to low and let sit.  In another pan, heat to medium heat and spray some olive oil into the pan.  Add scallops and let sit and brown up a little.  Stir and turn them.  Add lemon juice, a dash of salt and pepper (to taste) and let simmer until the scallops are white all they way through and meaty.  While the scallops are simmering squeeze the juice from the limes directly onto the cabbage mixture.  Add the cilantro and a little bit of salt and pepper and stir.  For the tortillas you can either heat them in the microwave to soften, or heat them on a small skillet (my preferred method) until brown spots start to form.  Put a few scallop pieces in the tortilla and add the cabbage mixture right on top.  Enjoy!
http://pinterest.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search