Saturday, April 21, 2012

Simmered Greens and Brown Rice

This meal is an idea I got from my throw it together meal, and from my first time eating rainbow chard.  Rainbow chard is delicious, at least I think it is.  Chard in any form is a very healthy vegetable.  I know, I know, but all veggies are healthy.  True.  However, not all veggies are created equal.  Different vegetables have different vitamin contents and phytonutrients.  Chard is know is known to have at least 13 different types of antioxidants.  It contains an antioxidant called kaempferol, which is a cardio protective flavonoid.  It can also be found in broccoli and kale.  So, chard equals good for your heart.  Chard leaves also have a flavonoid called syringic acid.  This is known for it's ability to help regulate blood sugar.  It is chock full with all kinds of antioxidants.  It is also chock full of all kinds of vitamins, particularly K and A.  In only one cup of cooked chard you get 716% of your daily value of vitamin k and 214% of your daily value of vitamin A.  It has a lot of other vitamins too.  If you'd like to see them all please visit this website for more information.

I'll admit, I'm not very well versed in cooking chard.  I've eaten once where I simply saut√©ed it with garlic and a bit of fresh squeezed lemon.  The way I cooked it this time came from an idea from a friend.  I will be looking up more ways to cook chard though.  Regular chard is great, I like the rainbow chard because, typically, more colors equals more phytonutrients.  For this meal I also included green kale, purple kale, and yellow onion.  I served it over brown rice and really enjoyed it.  My husband said it stank, lol.  He's a steak and potatoes kind of guy.  I, however, and leaning more and more towards vegan.  The only thing I can't give up is eggs and I'll still probably eat a little seafood from time to time.  I'm really loving experimenting with new vegetables.  So, here's my recipe.

Ingredients
1 cup chopped green kale leaves
1 cup chopped purple kale leaves
2 cups chopped rainbow chard, including stems
1 medium sized yellow onion, cut into slices then into fours
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 cup vegetable broth
1/2 lemon
1/2 cup brown rice

Directions
Start the rice first.  I used a half cup of rice and one cup of water.  Bring to a boil, then turn heat down to low and let simmer until the rice has absorbed all the water.  In a preheated pan, set on medium, add coconut oil.  Wait just a few minutes then add garlic and onion.  Sautee until onion becomes translucent.  Add in the vegetable broth and kale leaves.  Turn heat down, cover, and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, until kale starts to become soft.  Add in the chard leaves and stem, cover and simmer another 5-10 minutes, allowing everything to soak up the vegetable broth.  Put rice in a bowl or plate and add the vegetable mix.  I put it right on top with some broth for the rice to soak up and add to the flavor.  Here's how the veggies looked when they were done.  I took the picture with my phone so I apologize for the cut off sides.  Hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search