Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Throw it all together

I've been experimenting with different vegetable lately.  Trying new things, finding what I like (turnips) and things I don't like (beets).  I have signed up for organic produce delivery and I love that there is usually at least one thing in the box that I haven't tried before.  I've also tried rainbow chard and liked it very much.  I made it very simply.  I heated up a bit of olive oil, cut up the chard, and sautéed with some minced garlic.  When it was finished I squeezed some fresh lemon on it. Delish!  Sorry, I wasn't thinking of taking pictures when I made it but I hight recommend it.

I couldn't figure out what I wanted for dinner the other night.  I dug through my fridge to see what kinds of veggies I had left.  I found some kale, a huge yellow onion, a leek, a couple of roma tomatoes, some fresh green beans, a few baby turnips, and fresh parsley.  I heated up a couple of teaspoons of coconut oil in a pan.  I cut up all the veggies into good bite sized pieces.  I even sliced a little bit of ginger.  I put some lentils in a pot and let them cook.  I sautéed all of the veggies in a pan, cooking the turnips for about 5 minutes or so by them selves.  I threw everything else into the pot and squeezed from fresh lemon on it.  I really enjoyed it.  The flavor of the coconut oil along with the natural flavors of the vegetables made it taste fabulous.  I mixed in some the lentils and called it a meal.  It was literally a throw it all together meal.

I'm also now convinced that organic produce really is superior.  They taste better and I know it has more nutrients than their chemical sprayed counterparts.  I buy most of my produce at a local organic co-op and their prices aren't that much more than regular grocery store produce.  I've been reading a lot on diet, nutrition, and food in America which is what has sparked this turn in the foods I eat.  I've completely cut out dairy and soy.  I drink almond milk to get my calcium.  I'm eating mostly vegan but I am eating eggs.  I could never give up my eggs.  Or my coffee.  I look forward to experimenting with more fresh produce and coming up with yummy dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search