Saturday, May 5, 2012

Gluten and Dairy Free Crepes

I was craving something dessert-y but not too sweet.  I also didn't want to leave the house and didn't want anything cold.  I started searching around for quick and easy gluten free dessert ideas.  I was trying to find something that I could either make or adapt to what I had in the house.  I thought of microwaving an apple and pear with some cinnamon but that didn't sound good enough.  I thought about cutting up a mango and serving it with coconut milk ice cream.  I was kind of cold and that would involve leaving the house and buying something so that was out.  I came across some crepe recipes but they all were made with things I didn't have, and dairy, and weren't as quick and easy and I was hoping for.  I changed my search to look for gluten free dairy free crepes and came across a little crepe shop near my house that says they have gluten free vegan crepes.  Then I saw they are made on the same equipment as the gluten filled crepes, which is really pointless for someone with celiac or high sensitivity.  I think some of these place are following along diet trends and making gluten free things for people who believe it's the next best thing for weight loss.  I'm sure you know, as I know, that being gluten free doesn't necessarily have anything to do with weight loss.  In fact, in can have a lot to do with weight gain, especially if you were having trouble keeping weight on before being diagnosed.  Many, if not most, gluten free "convenience" foods and baked goods are higher in calories and fat than their gluten filled counter parts.  Ok, stepping off my high horse now, I just needed to get that out.

So, as I was perusing the world wide web I came across a recipe on Living Without.  Living Without also publishes a magazine and is not only a great resource for gluten free foods and recipes, but for all kinds of food allergies.  Their recipes always looked good to me and I can't even tell you how many times I saved recipes from the magazine, but somehow never got around to it.  I did use the references in the back to find out about substitutes for things like butter, and to get flour recipes.  On the web site they are just called Easy Breakfast Crepes.  I did not make them breakfast crepes, however.  I may in the future.  Throw some veggies and scrambled egg in there.  Maybe meat and cheese for the family.  Tonight it was all about my sweet tooth.  I had a nice, ripe mango that I wanted to eat so I decided that mango crepes would be a delicious and not too terribly unhealthy dessert.  I had extra batter after I made my two so I made a crepe for each of the kids and they couldn't tell they were gluten free and thought they were super delicious.  For their crepes I spread some butter on the crepe and then put some strawberry jelly and whipped cream in the middle, rolled it up and sprinkled some powdered sugar on top.  I called them strawberries and cream crepes.  I didn't want the dairy so I simply cut up my mango and rolled the pieces inside and sprinkled powdered sugar on top.  They were delicious, filling, and super easy.  This is one of those recipes that is versatile and all about personal taste.  Fill with whatever fits your fancy.  Make them into breakfast, dessert, lunch, or dinner.  The possibilities are endless.

Ingredients
1 cup brown rice flour
1 cup milk or milk substitute (I used Silk Pure Almond unsweetened vanilla)
2 eggs*
1 tsp vanilla
3 tbsp sugar
1 tsp oil

Instructions
Heat oil in pan over medium high heat.  Mix flour and sugar together.  Add in vanilla, milk, and eggs.  Batter should be thin (the website says like cake batter).  If it's too thin you can add more flour one tbsp at a time.  I found this to be unnecessary.  Pour batter onto skillet and spread around to evenly coat.  It'll start to bubble up a lot and the you can take a thin spatula and flip.  Cook for a just a minute or two and transfer to your plate.  Put your ingredients on, roll them up and enjoy!

*The website also has instructions for making these if you're egg free so they can easily be converted to vegan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search